Insomnia – A Disease That Can Take A Toll On Your Daily Life
Among the many health disorders that are disrupting normal life, insomnia needs a special mention for sure. Millions of people are affected by the problem globally and the numbers are increasing alarmingly. In insomnia even if you are dead tired, you will be unable to sleep in any way. You might wake up in the middle of the night and then spend the rest of the night awake on your bed. When this problem continues for long, it leads to various kinds of physical as well as psychological disorders. Daily life is hampered in a great manner due to insomnia.
People working in various industries suffering from insomnia
Though anybody and everybody can be affected by insomnia, the problem is common with people in particular jobs. For instance, people who work in shifts can fall prey to insomnia easily. This happens because they do not have a fixed sleeping schedule. For some days they might get sleep at night, sometimes they have to work during night and sleep during the day. As a result the sleeping cycle gets hampered in a bad manner. If the pattern continues for long, it might lead to insomnia. Also people who need to travel overseas frequently for job purpose or business might develop insomnia. It happens because of the time gap between two countries. Jet lag is also a major factor that needs considerable adjustment.
Common factors that contribute to insomnia
Since insomnia is becoming a kind of epidemic, various studies and researches are being carried out all over the world to find out the causes leading to insomnia. Some of the most prominent reasons are as follows:
• Insomnia caused by medications – Various kinds of medicines can cause insomnia. For instance, diuretics, medicines for treating high blood pressure, antidepressants, medicines for flu and cold containing alcohol, corticosteroids, medicine for thyroid can lead to insomnia when taken for a prolonged period.
• Sleep disorders causing insomnia – People suffering from sleep disorders like restless legs syndrome, sleep apnea and narcolepsy can suffer from insomnia. These problems do not let the person catch on good sleep.
• Psychological factors causing insomnia – It has been noticed that various kinds of psychological problems are leading to insomnia. People are being affected by anxiety, stress and tension on personal as well as professional front. When these problems cross a certain limit, it might lead to insomnia. Depression is also a major source leading to insomnia. Post traumatic stress disorder, bipolar disorder etc cause insomnia if not dealt in a proper manner.
• Physical problems leading to insomnia – People suffering from certain physical problems might face insomnia. Chronic pain, Parkinson’s, hyperthyroidism, allergies, acid reflex, asthma, kidney ailments, cancer etc are some physical ailments that can cause insomnia.
How to understand if you are suffering from insomnia?
All kinds of health disorders have some kinds of symptoms. The same is applicable for insomnia as well. Some of the most common symptoms of insomnia are as follows:
• Not being able to fall asleep at night.
• Getting up at midnight and staying awake for the rest of the night.
• Feel exhausted and fatigued even after waking up.
• Sleepiness and fatigue throughout the day.
• Lack of concentration.
• Extreme levels of anxiety, stress and depression.
• Irritable nature.
• Losing coordination in work increasing errors.
• Headaches in tension situations.
• Symptoms of gastrointestinal problems.
• Not being able to socialize well.
If you are facing any such symptoms, try seeing a medical practitioner at the earliest. Insomnia can be cured if dealt with in the right manner and at the right time. However, for some patients, insomnia might require taking in medications.